Spring is here so tax day is near! Here are some tips to help you get on the path to filing:
- Give us your tax documents. It is imperative that we receive your tax information as soon as possible in order to actually file your return or even to file an extension! To get the ball rolling, drop off your documents to our office or upload them to your secure portal. If you don’t yet have the Portal, contact us here. Even if you haven’t received all of your forms yet, be sure to gather everything that you have so that we can get started!
- Sign Form 8879, and any state e-File forms. After we’ve finished preparing your return, you can finds these forms in the portal (if you selected this service on your questionnaire) or in our office. Upload the signed forms back to the Portal or you can bring them into our office. We cannot file your return without these forms.
- Pay your tax preparation fee. If you don’t have time to come to our office, you can pay us easily here.
- Pay your taxes! This year your tax payments are due on April 15, 2020. If your taxes were set up to be direct debited from your bank account, ensure that these payments were withdrawn.
- Pay your first quarter estimates. These payments are also due on April 15, 2020.
- If you are considering an extension, let us know! We cannot file an extension without hearing from you first. If you believe you will owe state or federal taxes, we can use any preliminary tax information that you have to determine the amount to pay before the deadline!
Remember, an extension does not grant you permission to delay your tax payment. Even if you think you can wait until October, the IRS requires full payment of whatever you owe by April 15th of this year; otherwise you could be charged interest and penalties.
Whether you’ve already filed or you’re on your way to filing, tax season is a stressful time for everyone. But as with all aspects of life, planning is essential to minimizing stress. So schedule a meeting with one of our accountants in May or thereafter to learn how you can benefit from tax planning. There are many ways to adjust your tax situation thus helping you keep more of what you earn in your pocket. Click here to inquire about our tax planning offer! Happy Filing!