The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) suggests seven plans of action you should take if you learn that your identity has been stolen. 

What To Do

  1. Contact your bank and any other financial institutions handling your accounts.
  1. Contact the fraud department of at least one of the following major credit bureaus:

Equifax: Visit www.equifax.com or call (888)-766-008

TransUnion: Visit www.transunion.com or call (800)-680-7289

Experian: Visit www.experian.com or call (888)-397-3742

  1. Check your credit report every 12 months.

You can do this by visiting www.annualcreditreport.com or by calling (877)-322-8228.

  1. File a complaint with the Federal Trade commission (FTC).

You can do this in three ways:

    1. By visiting www.identitytheft.gov
    2. By calling (877)-438-4338
    3. By sending a letter to:

Identity Theft Clearinghouse

Federal Trade Commission

600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20580

  1. Contact your local Social Security Administration office.

You can do this by visiting www.SSA.gov or by calling (800)-772-1213.

  1. Click here for more information on tax-related identity theft from the IRS or you can find a quick guide to identity theft on our website here.
  1. Contact the state you live in for more specific steps to take at the state level.

Click here to find links to state websites. 

Ask For Help!

Remember, you don’t have to go about this alone. Contact us if you have any concerns regarding your stolen identity!